Do you remember what it feels like to swing? The wind in your face. The feeling of flying through the air. Freedom. I used to love to swing! I still swing sometimes when no one but the kids are around. But swinging now is not the same. We are so uninhibited as children. We dont care what we look like or if anyone will think we are dumb for swinging. We just swing. Higher and higher. I remember always trying to reach a certain height. "I'm gonna swing higher than that fence," or " I just have to get my foot to touch that leaf." You know what I mean. I took the kids outside this morning to play. All they wanted to do was swing. Landon had never been on the swing outside so I decided to give it a try. He was a bit nervous at first. But he soon got into it and smiled his ear to ear grin while he swung.
Before long he discovered that he could chew on the swing. Don't worry....I predicted he would do this (since he is teething and chews on everything!) and I disinfected the swing before I put him in it.
Caelynn was not too happy the Landon was in "her swing." But she settled for tummy swinging. If you know Caelynn you know that she is constantly eating. She is tiny, but she eats all day long. Notice the pop-tart in her hand. She refused to put it down and ate it while she swang.
Parker had to show me some tricks. Here he is swinging with no hands.
I have found that we can go to any park to play and they spend most of their time swinging. The park can have cool new equipment and still they swing. Many times I have wished that I could have the mind of a child again. To be free to play and not care what you look like. I encourage you to swing again. Go out in the backyard or to the park when no one else is around. Swing and try not to care. Just remember what it was like and enjoy it.





1 comment:
You are right about swinging. I love to do it. Sometimes I even surprise my kindergarten kids and swing on the ones at the playground. They took the swings down here in the mountains and replaced it with a big jungle gym playground so we don't get to swing this week. I wish you guys were here too, it is so nice. Maybe next year.
Post a Comment